More leaders “Lingering” with IHOP?

CaptureThere are all sorts of 2014 conferences we’re seeing on calendars that join together teachers from various movements. But when those movements include NAR or Word of Faith, we take notice of those mainstream teachers who would choose to give their stamp of approval by joining and affiliating. That said, here is an interesting new conference called LINGER 2014, featuring John Piper, Matt Chandler and IHOP (International House Of Prayer) teacher and leader Steve Venable,  who is holding a Special Session on “Lingering” at the conference, which also features a “Linger Room.”  Says researcher Ken Silva over at Apprising Ministries:

I must tell you that after some 25+ years in the ministry fields of Christian apologetics, counter-cult evangelism, and Comparative Religion, I’ve never heard of this lingering. My initial guess is that we’re going to be told we should “linger in the presence of God.”

Read more:

Tags:

11 Responses to “More leaders “Lingering” with IHOP?”

1. wilderness firefighter #

Sounds to me like the Lingering Conference is going to be yet another magnet for people who have far too much time on their hands…..

January 17, 2014 at 10:27 am
  2. Carol Von Canon #

I guess the Holy Spirit is powerless to change us unless we ‘linger”.

January 17, 2014 at 11:19 am
  3. Marie #

I see the dominionist church forming before us as more and more pastors are boarding the ship of deception, creating a false army as their religion joins forces wiht our government.

I have seen some discernment ministries compare the influencing nature of our government to that of Nazi Germany, sending out the red flags of increased oppression. I must ask your readers “Is the American church resembling the spiritual nature of the German church during Nazi Germany?”

When man chooses to merge nationalism with the religious institutions/churches, then we must truly acknowledge the deception that has taken place here, for the church system then worships another jesus. This false jesus then becomes our political king who has merged himself with the governments of the nations in presenting itself as an angel of light.

Indeed, we may see these people “take back America,” but it will not be in the authority of God, the Holy Spirit, but perhaps the very same spirit that pervaded during the time of Nazi Germany.

Jesus is our LORD and our KING, not our political leader.

January 17, 2014 at 3:06 pm
  4. lyn #

Amen Marie. There are tons of professing Christians who insist we MUST take back this nation for Christ, as if He is powerless to do so if He so desired! They insist on passing and enforcing laws to ‘change’ people. They have NO understanding that it is the Gospel that changes a heart, NOT more laws on the books {Romans 1:16}. They want outward appearances to line up with their agenda, they twist God’s word and use it as an excuse to push their agenda…shame on them. They put up huge sums of money to back certain political candidates, hoping to accomplish their goal. They have no understanding that Christ is who we are to put all our trust and hope in, and the kingdom that is to come. “For the present form of this world is passing away. ” 1 Corinthians 7:31 To insist we must take this world back is to go against the very word of God, and to be like Peter concerning the Lord’s crucifixion- and the Lord rebuked him “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”
    – Matthew 16:23

This dominionist view is a very dangerous movement, all who adhere to it should be shunned.

January 17, 2014 at 5:53 pm
    • Marie #

Our LORD delievered me out of such a church system where IHOP is held in high esteem. After observing these people’s lifestyles and researching IHOP/it’s history and current beliefs comparing them to the very Word of God, I left that church. I believe God, the Holy Spirit led me every step of the way and I have never looked back in regret. Praise our Almighty God!

Thank=You Lyn for your words of affirmation. The shift of the churches has been so sublte that most are deceived, I was once was a staunch, hateful republican, but God, the Holy Spirit revealed my wretched sin to me and delievered me out of political babylon. I should have shunned myself! But Praise His Holy Name, He still loves and care by His mercy and His grace.

This day, I will choose to follow Jesus…..no turning back, no turning back.

January 18, 2014 at 7:07 am
  5. Rose Vosburgh #

If you go to lingerconference.com and click on sponsors, you will find that The Master’s College (of which John MacArthur is president) is listed as an ‘exhibitor’ at this conference. That was a real surprise to me. I just sent them an email asking why their college would want to have any association with IHOP’s heretical teaching. I hope this was just some kind of oversight which will soon be corrected. But with one of the main speakers being from IHOP and with a name like ‘Linger’…how could they not know?

January 17, 2014 at 9:09 pm
  6. lyn #

Good question Rose, let us know if you get a response.

January 18, 2014 at 12:06 am
    • Rose Vosburgh #

Lyn, I got a response from The Masters College just now. Here it is:

Thank you for your email and concern for the testimony of TMC. We were invited to set up a booth to inform people about The Masters College but were not given information as to whom would be speaking. Just today I saw the line-up of speakers and informed Dr. MacArthur right away. We are not sponsoring this event in any way and if Dr. MacArthur sees this as harmful to our testimony, we will certainly back out.

Thank you for sharing your concern with us.

Sincerely,

Lee Duncan, Ed.D.
      Executive Vice-President
      The Master’s College

January 20, 2014 at 8:47 pm
  7. lyn #

Thank you Rose, I am amazed they would agree to set up an exhibit at a conference they know little about. Regardless of whether they sponsor it or not is irrelevant. Discernment is the key here, when they were given the invitation, they should have investigated further. I know most of theses conferences charge a fee, so they are supporting this, albeit indirectly, by having to pay for their exhibit.
    Is God being glorified in all this? It’s all about TMC recruiting students and making money, and the conference itself is anything but glorifying to God.
    This is what really irks me; all these conferences that make big bucks from those who attend, the booths that sell the books, cds, and whatever else is available from the celebrity preachers. These events bring in a lot of money, are they necessary? Isn’t the Bible enough? Isn’t God the Spirit all we need? I care little for celebrity preachers and their continual peddling of their books, their learning institutions, etc.

January 20, 2014 at 9:29 pm
    • Rose Vosburgh #

Boy, I couldn’t agree more about all these conferences that are springing up everywhere. It seems epidemic now….hear of new ones almost every day. And, yes, despite the good intentions some people may have in organizing these events, I think it ends up being all about selling wares or recruiting students. It is becoming big business. I understand it takes money to run ministries, but this is not the way to support ministry. It only cheapens the gospel. I am so disappointed Masters would just lend their name to be an exhibitor at a conference without ever checking out what is being taught. We must test everything and everyone today and never put men…no matter how faithful or gifted they appear to be…up on a high pedestal…running to conferences just hear them speak. This is not a good trend in Christianity at all. The Bible and the local church/pastor should to be the backbone. I know it is hard for many people to find a good Bible teaching church today. But celebrity pastors are not necessarily good substitutes. We must be so careful today.

January 20, 2014 at 10:16 pm